Guidance for International Students with Disabilities
Aston University has a truly international community with students from over 65 countries. We recognise and welcome the important academic contribution and cultural diversity our international students make to our environment.
We welcome applications from international students with disabilities and aim to enable you to make the most of your time at the university, whether you have a:
- Physical or sensory disability
- mental health difficulty
- specific learning difficulty, e.g. dyslexia
- Your application will be considered solely on academic merit, but it is helpful if we know in advance about any support needs you may have.
- Following an assessment of your needs, the following support can be provided by the University at no additional cost to you, where appropriate to your disability:
- Certain adaptations to the University accommodation – for example vibrating emergency alert systems, internet access and a small number of flats adapted for wheelchair users
- Individual examination arrangements – such as extra time, modified papers, private rooms, height-adjustable desks.
- Extended library loans
- Individual access arrangements to information necessary for lectures, provided in advance Permission to tape-record lectures
- Loan of certain equipment – for example, laptops equipped with assistive software / computer programmes (Inspiration, Dragon Naturally Speaking and TextHelp Read and Write), dictaphones, magnifiers. Please note that the University has very limited amounts of equipment it can loan and it is subject to availability.
- Access to study rooms in the Library equipped with CCTV, height adjustable desks and computers installed with assistive software such as TextHelp Read and Write, plus Supernova screen magnification.
- Confidential advice and support from the Disability and Additional Needs Unit
Other services are available at the University, but are subject to availability and require funding. International students are not eligible for UK government funding for students with disabilities (Disabled Students Allowance). Aston University will make every effort to help you find funding for these types of support, but you or your sponsors may be asked to fund resources or equipment over and above those outlined above.
The following services require funding:
- Personal care – e.g. assistance with shopping, dressing, cleaning etc
- Study support workers – e.g. notetakers, readers, mobility assistants
- Sign language interpreters
- Equipment e.g. wheelchairs, computers, Brailling equipment
- Extensive Brailling
We encourage you to contact the Disability and Additional Needs Unit as early as possible in the application process to discuss your support needs. If you have declared your disability on your application form you will be sent an information pack and a questionnaire asking about your possible support needs. Any additional costs will be discussed with you as soon as possible.
If you require any further information or wish to discuss support available, please contact the Disability & Additional Needs Unit:
Disability & Additional Needs Unit
Student Support and Counselling
G16, Main Building, Aston University
The Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET
Tel: (0121) 204 4711
Or visit our web-site: www.aston.ac.uk/welfareservices/disability
This document is also available in large print, electronically and on audio cassette and Braille on request.