Benefits of the scheme
Spending a year at an overseas university will provide you with an invaluable experience. You will:
- Improve your language skills
- Meet like-minded students and make new friends
- Experience differences between student life in the UK and overseas
- Demonstrate your ability to adapt to a new study environment to potential employers
- Show that you can work with people from different cultural backgrounds
What will the year involve?
- You will attend lectures and seminars at the overseas university and follow a course which complements your studies at Aston. Some universities also offer language programmes - developed specifically for Erasmus students.
- Your hours of study will vary depending on the course you choose and the institution where you're based. On average, you will attend lecture for between 15 and 20 hours per week
- You will be assessed during your time overseas and your marks will be transfered to Aston using the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
Where will I study?
You will be studying at one or more of our exchange universities in Belgium, France, Germany or Spain. Our current partner institutions include the following universities:
France: Université Denis Diderot (Paris 7), Université François Rabelais (Tours), Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Lille, Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Rennes, Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Bordeaux, Université Catholique Ouest (Angers), Université Paul-Valéry (Montpellier 3) and Université de la Nouvelle-Calédonie
Germany: Universität Leipzig, Universität Johannes Gutenberg Mainz (Germersheim), Europa-Universität Viadrina (Frankfurt Oder) and Universität Paderborn
Spain/Latin America: Universidad Chileno-Británica, Santiago (Chile),Universitat de València , Universidad de Granada, Universidad Pablo de Olavide Sevilla and Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona)
Finland (lectures in English): University of Tampere
Turkey (lectures in English): Bilkent University
Will I have to pay extra?
You do not have to pay fees at these universities for your year abroad and you may also be eligible for funding via the European Commission’s Erasmus Programme.
How do I get a place?
The Placements Team will give you all the information you need on study options and courses at our partner universities. We will also assist you with completing the application forms.