The School of Languages and Social Sciences offers two scholarships for 2010/11 for students accepted on our Masters programmes in:
These scholarships are for students from developing Commonwealth countries who would not otherwise be able to study in the United Kingdom.
We also offer an additional five scholarships for students on the MSc in TESOL programme from Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria and Tanzania.
The Commission will fund:
LSS will fund all associated living expenses for the scholar(s)
- Full tuition fees for the Postgraduate Taught programme
- Thesis expenses of £225
- Study travel grant up to £100
- The cost of airfare to / from the UK
- Excess baggage allowance for books up to 10kg on return home.
- Maintenance stipend of approximately £737 per month
- A one-off arrival allowance of approximately £737
Eligibility of candidates for the awards:
- First degree at either First/Upper Second class or equivalent (work experience CANNOT be accepted as an alternative)
- Must be a national of a developing Commonwealth country, permanently living in this country. Preference is given to applicants from poorer developing countries in the Commonwealth
- Must have the University’s minimum English language requirement as no funding will be given for pre-sessional programmes
- Must NOT have studied for one year or more in a developed country previously
- Must not be employed by a national government or an organisation owned or part-owned by the government (parastatal organisation) - higher education institutions are exempted from this restriction.
How to apply / further information
The deadline for the 2009/10
scholarships has now passed. Applications for the 2010/11
academic year is 26 March 2010.
Find out more about the Commonwealth Scholarship scheme
before you download and complete the following forms:
Print off the documents, complete them and return them by email, post or fax as follows:
Postage address: Postgraduate Programme Co-ordinator, School of Languages and Social Sciences, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET
Fax: +44 (0)121 204 3766.