I joined Pharmacy at Aston in February 2012, having spent the previous 25 years as a practicing pharmacist. I have worked within community, industry, acute hospital and particularly within old age and adult psychiatry where I worked for 18 years; with 9 years at a senior level.
I am an experienced researcher, manager and clinician with a broad research background including working within multi-disciplinary international teams. I am experienced in aspects of management including strategic planning, knowledge management, team development, change management and administration, from both a public sector and commercial environment.
I have taught and developed teaching material for a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. In particular I have developed a Psychopharmacology course for non-medical prescribers and educational material for the College for Postgraduate Pharmacy Education.
Member of the Medicines Research Group.
Teaching Activity on the MPharm Programme
PH4703 (Module coordinator): lectures and workshops in clinical pharmacy
PH3601: Workshops in mental health and neurology
PH4704: Lectures on research methods
- 2012 – date: Senior Lecturer in Clinical Pharmacy, Pharmacy, Aston University.
- 2007 – 2011: Senior Pharmacist / Clinical Lead for R&D, Kent & Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust.
- 2002 – 2007: Chief Pharmacist for East Kent Partnership NHS Trust.
- 2000 – 2002: Pharmacy services manager (mental health), Kent & Canterbury Hospital.
- 1997 – 2000: Mental Health Pharmacist, Norfolk and Waveney Mental Health Trust.
- 1996 – 1997: Clinical Audit Pharmacist, Royal Berkshire Hospital.
- 1994 – 1996: Clinical Pharmacist, Thanet Hospital.
- 1993 – 1994: Locum Pharmacist, St Mary’s Hospital, Isle of Wight.
- 1988 – 1993: Community Pharmacy Manager.
- 1987 – 1988: Basic Grade Pharmacist, Lewisham Hospital.
- 1986 – 1987: Industrial / Hospital Pre-registration Pharmacist.
- Medication errors in mental health and dementia – widely published in this field and undertaken qualitative and quantitative research. This includes an analysis of all medication errors reported by Mental Health Trusts to the NPSA in a single year, which was part of Themed Review of Medication Safety Incidents (Safety in Doses; NPSA, 2009 – available on
- Medication management in dementia – linked with international leaders in this field. Chair of grant-writing group, which is supported by Dementia and Neurogenerative Diseases (DeNDRoN).
- Pharmacological interventions for agitation in dementia – co-principal investigator for 1st in world CTIMP (clinical trial of an investigation medicinal product) studying a pharmaceutical agent in dementia.
- Anti-cholinergic burden (ACB) – investigator on two recently published trials, which studied the link between ACB, and cognition and mortality (one study, which identified an association between mortality and ACB, received widespread international publicity).
- Member of the Dementia and Neurogenerative Diseases (DeNDRoN) Dementia Research Network Clinical Studies Group.
- Member of trial monitoring committee for Drug Safety Research Unit (DSRU) observational trial.
Recent research funding
- 2006 – 2010: PI with responsibility for medication management in an investigator initiated clinical trial studying memantine in agitation associated with dementia (MAGD; £389,000).
- 2006 – 2008: Hospital Medicines Management Collaborative – 3rd wave (£30,000).
- 2004 – 2006: Parkinson’s Disease Society to review the data, and produce a Cochrane review on Parkinson’s Disease Dementia (£5,000).
Possible availability to supervise new suitable applicants in the following areas:
- Medication management in dementia and mental health.
- Medication review in the healthcare of older people including dementia and mental health.
- The impact of anti-cholinergic burden on health outcomes.
- 2011: Two TV (including live interview for BBC news 24), three radio and two press interviews (Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail) and press conference regarding trial published in JAGS linking anti-cholinergic burden with cognitive impairment and mortality. (Story was also widely featured in other media outlets).
- 2002: Radio broadcast for National Public Radio (USA) on the use of gabapentin as a mood stabilizer.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- 2011: Member General Pharmaceutical Council.
- 2011: Founder Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society.
- 2006: Full member of British Association for Psychopharmacology.
- 2002: Member of the College of Mental Health Pharmacy
Papers / articles
41 publications, 20 MEDLINE listed, in a range of well respected journals including - Annals of Pharmacotherapy, Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, Psychiatric Bulletin, Journal of Psychopharmacology, Cochrane Reviews, International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Quality & Safety in Health Care, Journal of the American Geriatric Society.
- Fox C, Richardson K, Maidment ID, Savva GM, Matthews FE, Smithard D, Coulton S, Katona C, Boustani MA, Brayne C Anticholinergic medication use and cognitive impairment in the older population: The Medical Research Council Cognitive Function and Ageing Study (CFAS). Journal of the American Geriatric Society. First published online: 24 JUN 2011. DOI: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03491.x. (impact factor = 3.656). ISSN 0002-8614
- Maidment ID, Brown P, Calnan M. 2011. An exploratory study of the role of trust in medication management within mental health services. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy (impact factor = 1.037), 33, 614-20. ISSN 2210-7703
- Maidment ID, Fox C, Boustani M, Katona C. 2011. Medication management – the missing link in dementia interventions. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. (impact factor = 1.981), DOI: 10.1002/gps.2745. ISSN 0885-6230.
- Fox C, Livingston G, Maidment ID et al. 2011. The Impact of anti-cholinergic burden in Alzheimer’s Disease – the Laser AD study. Age and Ageing (impact factor = 2.719). doi: 10.1093/ageing/afr102.
- Maidment ID, Boustani M, Rodriguez J, Brown R, Fox C, Katona C. 2008. A systematic review of the use of memantine in agitation associated with dementia. Annals of Pharmacotherapy (impact factor = 2.453), 42, 32-38. ISSN 1060-0280.
- Maidment ID, Haw C, Stubbs J, Fox C, Katona C, Dean-Franklin B. 2008. Medication Errors in Older People with mental health problems: a review. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry (impact factor = 1.981), 23, 564-73, ISSN 0885-6230.
- Maidment I, Fox C, Boustani M. 2006. Cholinesterase inhibitors for Parkinson's disease dementia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (impact factor = 5.653), Issue 1. Art. No.: CD004747. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004747.pub2.
- Maidment ID, Paton C, Lelliott P. 2006. A Review of Medication Errors in Mental Health Care. Quality & Safety in Health Care (impact factor = 2.856), 15, 409-13. ISSN 1475-3898.
Conference presentations / posters
30 poster / oral presentations at a range of national and international conferences. Highlights include:
- Fox C, Boustani M, Crugel M, Maidment ID et al. MAGD Trial - Memantine for Agitation in Alzheimer's Dementia. Annual Scientific Meeting on the American Geriatrics Society 2011, National Harbor, MD. Won Presidential Award for Best Poster.
- Maidment I, Fox C, Katona C et al. An evaluation of an outreach role for specialist mental health pharmacists. ICAD 2011 International Meeting, Paris.
- Maidment I, Fox C, Katona C, Boustani M, Campbell N. A review of key aspects of psychotropic safety problems in older people. IPA 2010 International Meeting. Santiago de Compostela.
- Maidment ID, Fox C, Livingston G, Katona C, Coulton S, Smithard D, Boustani M. An observational longitudinal study using a previously validated tool of the anti-cholinergic burden in a cohort of 224 people with AD. Posters at the 2009 MHRN conference (awarded prize for 2nd best poster) and oral communication at the 19th IAGG World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 2009.
- Maidment ID. Oral presentation at the Patient Safety Congress. Improving Medication Safety in Mental Health. April 2009.
- Adamou M, Plummer W, Maidment I, Mirtsou F, Hale AS. Atomoxetine and Cortical activity in adults with ADHD. British Association for Psychopharmacology Summer meeting, Oxford, July 2006. Also at 2nd Biennial Conference of the International Society for Bipolar Disorders, Edinburgh, August 2006 and 25th Collegium Internationale Neuro-psychopharmacologium, Chicago, October 2006.
Editorial appointments / Peer reviewer
- On the editorial boards of the Annals of Pharmacotherapy and Kent Journal for Mental Health.
- Peer reviewer for Annals of Pharmacotherapy, Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, Pharmaceutical Journal, Current Medical Research & Opinion, Medical Letter, Drug Safety, European Journal of Paediatric Neurology, Journal of Affective Disorders, Expert Opinion, International Journal for Quality in Health Care, Journal of Mental Health, International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, BMC Geriatrics, CNS Drugs and Ageing & Mental Health, International Clinical Psychopharmacology, BMC Health Services Research, International Psychogeriatrics, Cochrane Collaboration. NICE Technology Assessments.
- Grant reviewer for NIHR RfPB and Applied Programme Grants, and Evaluation, Trials and Studies Coordinating Centre.