0161 205 7507
I studied Graphic Design at the University of Central Lancashire gaining a First Class BA Hons.
I have worked for Dorling Kindersley, The Point and The Practice publishing and design studios gaining experience in the development of literature and illustration directly aimed at young school children.
I undertook a PGCE with St Martin’s College Lancaster specialising in Secondary Art and Design and shortly after taking up a full time post as an art teacher at Southlands High School Chorley. I was then appointed as Head of ICT with responsibility for teaching GNVQs and DiDA in.
My work gained the attention of BAESYSTEMS and I became a consultant for their primary ICT initiatives travelling to South Africa and Malaysia.
I founded Primary Engineer in 2005 with David Jinks and act as Chief Executive Officer and Chairman employing 6 members of staff. The programme delivers teacher training for engineering activities for Primary and Secondary Schools. The company is a not-for-profit that requires funds to be raised, which is one of my main roles alongside strategic development. The company now incorporates sister projects such as Secondary Engineer and the Leaders Award for STEM
Qualifications & Education
- BA Hons with First Class Honours in Graphic Design, University of Central Lancashire, 1995
- PGCE in Secondary Education, St Martin’s College Lancaster 1997
- PhD Student Aston University Engineering and Social Sciences Dept. enrolled 2011
- 2005 – to date Founder and Chief Executive Officer Primary Engineer
- 1997 – 2005 Head of ICT Southlands High School Chorley
- 1995 – 1997 Primary education ICT consultant to BAESYSTEMS
- Engineering Education
- Primary and Secondary Design Technology and Engineering education
Membership of Professional Bodies External Responsibilities
- Dr Robin Clarke and Dr Jane Andrews
- Trustee of Young Engineers
- STEM Ambassador
Primary Engineer works directly with organisations such as;
- The Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- The Institution of Civil Engineers
- The Royal Academy of Engineering
- The Royal Aeronautical Society
- THALES and FORD
- The University of Strathclyde
- ASE, DATA, IOP, Ri
- Engineering UK
As an individual I sit on the;
- Design Technology curriculum review response for E4E (The Royal Academy of Engineering coordinated board of Engineering Institutions)
- The School and Subject Associations’ Working Group (SSAWG comprising of the Association of School and College Leaders ASCL, the Association for Science Education ASE, the Computing At Schools group CAS, the Design & Technology Association DATA, the Mathematical Association MA, the National Society for Education in Art & Design NSEAD and Primary/Secondary Engineer)
- Tomorrows Engineers CEO operations group and Chairman’s Forum
- When Stem? An Age Old Question. London. Institute of Mechanical Engineers. IMechE, (2010). Contributor
- The Conference paper for Frontiers in Engineering Education Engineering in Elementary Education: A Journey of Discovery (Oct 2012) Robin Clark & Jane Andrews, Aston University. Susan Scurlock, Primary Engineer.