+44 (0)121 204 3047
EAS School Centre, MB138
My initial activity at Aston University is in developing a new high level masters programme. This new qualification aims to transform experienced managers in engineering into influential and respected leaders with the personal and technical expertise to address global business challenges, with integrity, in a resource limited world. More broadly, I am considering the development of engineering leadership with employers of engineers and users of our science and engineering knowledge.
Before joining Aston University, my career included pioneering research, management of applied research in the physical sciences and senior company strategic leadership roles. I managed projects and led departments of up to 230 staff through significant change programmes. My work was in collaboration with a wide range of government organisations and companies, as well as academic and professional institutions.
External responsibilities have included:
- University of Reading – Member of Council
- University of Bristol – Systems Centre Advisory Panel Member
- Manchester Metropolitan University, Electronic Engineering Department – External Advisor
- HEFCE REF 2014 Panel member B13, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, metallurgy and materials
- HEFCE Strategic Advisory Group member
- EPSRC Peer Review College Member
- EPSRC - User Panel Interim Chairman and Council Member
- Institution of Engineering and Technology - Council Member
- Institute of Physics - Council Member
- STEM Ambassador
- External Examiner in Physics, Aberystwyth University
- External Advisory Panel Member, Institute of Mathematics and Physics
- CBI ICARG (Inter-Company Academic Relations Group) - Chairman
- A M Hodge (as Chairman of Independent Review), ‘Review of progress in implementing the recommendations of Sir Gareth Roberts, regarding employability and career development of PhD students and research staff’. RCUK (October 2010).
- A M Hodge (as Chairman of this working group), ‘Recommendations to Institute of Physics Council from the working group on Women in Physics’, (September 2002).
- A M Hodge, R Hollins and C Pykett, ‘Advanced Sensors’, MoD Journal of Defence Science 3, 124-133 (April 1998).
Best Paper Award 1998.
- M C L Ward, D O King and A M Hodge, 'A surface micromachined accelerometer with integrated electronics for inertial navigation applications', Sensors and Actuators, (1994) [Eurosensors VIII 1994].
- A M Hodge and J M Keen, 'Silicon on porous silicon, method of production and material': Patent Application No. 9025236.2 (1990), UK Patent GB 2 271 465 B (Published 26.10.94) & US Patent Number 5,387,541 (Feb. 7, 1995).
- M J Uren, K M Brunson and A M Hodge, 'Separation of two distinct fast interface states at the (100) Si/SiO2 interface using the conductance technique'; Appl. Phys. Lett., 60, 624, (1992).
- C Pickering, R Greef and A M Hodge, 'Ellipsometry of rough silicon surfaces: comment on "The roughness of hetero-epitaxial silicon on sapphire"'; Semiconductor Science and Technology, 4, 574, (1989).
- C Pickering, S Dixon, D B Gasson, D J Robbins and A M Hodge, 'Angle‑resolved light scattering studies of silicon on sapphire'; J. Crystal Growth, 84, 180‑183, (1987).
- A M Hodge and M F Lewis, 'Detailed investigations into SAW convolvers';
Ultrasonics Symposium Proceedings, 113‑118, (1982).
- C Bassett and A M Hodge, 'On the morphology of melt crystallized polyethylene’ Parts (i) – (iii);
Proc. Roy. Soc., A377, 25‑71, (1981).
- MBE Queen’s Birthday Honours 2002 for services to the Institute of Physics
- Aston University – 2010 Honorary Professor in School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
- University of Bristol – 2011 Visiting Fellowship
- Queen’s Award for Technological Achievement 1989 - Team member
- Journal of Defence Science - Best Paper Award 1998
Qualifications and Education
- PhD Physics University of Reading
- BSc (Hons) Physics with Subsidiary Mathematics, University of Reading
- Programme Developer, Aston University, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Birmingham
- University Partnerships Director, QinetiQ
- Head of External Liaison, Sensors & Electronics Division, QinetiQ
- Head of Radar Department, QinetiQ
- Department Head in a series of departments, Ministry of Defence, Defence Evaluation and Research Agency, Malvern
- Research Scientist, Team Leader, Resource Manager, Project Manager, Ministry of Defence, Royal Signals and Radar Establishment and Defence Research Agency
- Attachée de Recherche, Centre de Recherches sur les Macromolécules, CNRS, Strasbourg, France
- Post-doctoral Research Assistant, University of Reading, Physics Department
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics
- Chartered Physicist
- Fellow of The Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Chartered Engineer
- Eur Ing Registration