Dr. Yuan recently joined the Group of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry at Aston University. Prior to this, she worked in the field of colloidal and nanoparticle formulation and engineering as a Research Fellow in the Institute of Particle Science and Engineering at University of Leeds for 7 years. She has a First and Masters Degree in Chemical Engineering and Fuel Processing, and her PhD Degree was in Polymer Science and Engineering. Before pursuing her PhD study, she did teaching and research in Chemical Engineering at Liaoning University of Science and Technology for more than 10 years.
Qualifications & Education
- Fellow of the HEAUK, March 2012
- PhD in Polymer Science and Engineering, The Nottingham Trent University, 2005
- Masters Degree in Fuel Processing, Dalian University of Technology, China, 1986-1989
- MEng in Chemical Engineering, Dalian University of Technology, China, 1986
- Chemical process and equipment design
- Advance process design
- MEng research projects
Research interests and PhD supervision
My expertise is on interfacial phenomena in colloidal and nanoparticle formulation and engineering. My research has been focused on fundamentals and applications of different dispersion systems for petroleum production (nanofluids), controlled delivery, polymeric composites and catalysis in fuel production. I provide supervision for PhD study in these aspects.
- Z. Wang, G. M. Kalea, Q. Yuan and M. Ghadiri, X-ray micro-tomography of freeze dried nickel alginate beads and transformation into NiO nanopowders. RSC Advances 2, 2012, 9993–9997.
- Q. Yuan, X. Jia, R. A. Williams. Validation of a Multi-Component Digital Dissolution Model for Irregular Particles. Powder Technology http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2012.07.011.
- M. Menon, Q. Yuan, X. Jia, A. Dougil and R. A. Williams. Assessment of Physical and hydrological Properties of Biological Soil Crusts Using X-ray Microtomography and Modelling. Journal of Hydrology 397(1-2), 2011, 47-54.
- Q. Yuan, O. J. Cayre, S. Fujii, R. A. Williams, S. Biggs, Responsive Core-Shell Latex Particles as Colloidosome Microcapsule Membranes. Langmuir 26 (23), 2010, 18408–18414.
- R. Williams, Q. Yuan, S. Collins. Membrane Emulsification. Encyclopedia of Surface and Colloid Science: Second Edition 2010 DOI: 10.1081/E-ESCS-120045996.
- Q. Yuan, O. Cayre, M. Mango, R. A. Williams and S. Biggs. Preparation of Nanoparticle Stabilised Emulsions Using Membrane Emulsification Soft Matter 6, 2010, 1580-1588.
- B. Xiao and Q. Yuan, Nanoporous Metal Organic Frameworks for Hydrogen Storage. Particuology 7(2), 2009, 129-136.
- Q. Yuan, R. A. Williams and S. Biggs. Surfactant Selection for Accurate Size Control of Microcapsules Using Membrane Emulsification. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical And Engineering Aspects 347(1-3), 2009, 97-103.
- Q. Yuan, N. Aryanti, R. Hou and R. A. Williams. Performance of slotted pores in Particle Manufacture in using rotating membrane emulsification. Particuology 7(2), 2009, 114-120.
- Q. Yuan, R. Hou et. al.. Manufacture of controlled emulsions and particulates using membrane emulsification. Desalination 224(1–3), 2008, 215–220.
- Q. Yuan and R. A. Williams, Large scale manufacture of magnetic polymer particles using membranes and microfluidic devices. Particuology 5(1-2), 2007, 26-42.
- Q. Yuan, A. Hagen and F. Roessner. An investigation into the Ti-grafting structure on MCM-41 and epoxidation catalysis. Applied Catalysis A: General 303(1), 2006, 81-87.
- F. Gao, G. Beyer and Q. Yuan. A mechanistic study of fire retardancy of carbon nanotube/ ethylene vinyl acetate copolymers and their clay composites. Polymer Degradation and Stability 89, 2005, 559-564.
- Q. Yuan, Q. Zhang, H. Hu and S. Guo. Investigation of extracts of coal by supercritical extraction. Fuel 77(11), 1998, 1237-1241.