Research Group: Project and Supply Chain Management Research Group
0121 204 5172
Kenneth, BSc, MSc, PGCert, PhD, FHEA, MCIOB, PMP, KCCM joined the academic staff at Aston University in 2009 from University of Reading, where he enjoyed undertaking a PhD and tutoring undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Having gained a BSc in Architectural Engineering, Kenneth has moved into industry working for construction and engineering companies internationally over 10 years. This allowed him to gain experience in different aspects of construction and project management from the inception to the post-completion of a construction project. Following this, Kenneth completed a PhD at the University of Reading looking at integrating whole life cost and performance into tender evaluation of design-build in 2009 and also holds an MSc in Architectural Engineering from Yonsei University in South Korea.
He is a Chartered Member of CIOB (Chartered institute of building, UK), Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, Associate Member of SCQS (Society of Construction & Quantity Surveyors), a PMP (Project Management Professional, PMI, USA) and a member of PMI UK Chapter, and a KCCM (Korean Certified Construction Manager, Korean Construction Management Centre/CMAA, Korea). He is a reviewer for a number of leading international refereed journals in the areas of construction management such as Construction Management and Economics, Buildings, Automation in Construction, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management ASCE, and Building and Environment.
Kenneth’s research interests include construction and engineering economics, integration of design and construction, process improvement and innovation, integrated procurement system, project management, whole life performance and sustainability.
Qualifications & Education
- Postgraduate Certificate in Professional Practice in Higher Education, Aston University, 2012
- PhD in Construction Management, University of Reading, 2009
- MSc in Architectural Engineering, Yonsei University, Korea, 2004
- BSc in Architectural Engineering, Suwon University, Korea, 1998
- 2009 – date: Lecturer, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Aston University
- 2007 – 2009: Tutor / Student Support Worker, University of Reading
- 2005 – 2007: Project Manager, GS E&C.
- 2004 – 2005: Procurement Manager, PoongLim Industrial Co., Ltd.,
- 2000 – 2003: Project Manager / Foreign Business Coordinator, Orienbil Inc.
- 1998 – 2000: Construction Manager, Coland Co., Ltd.
- 1995 – 1997: Construction / Facilities Manager, SWN Co., Ltd.
My teachings for BSc Construction Management, BSc Construction Project Management and industrial practitioners including:
- BSc Construction Technology (EC102C)
- BSc Estimation, Measurement and Scheduling (EC211C)
- BSc Value, Risk and Whole Life Cost Management (EC311C)
- BSc Industrial Placement (ECP001)
- BSc Research Project (EC310A)
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses
- Challenge of whole life costing and sustainability
- Sustainable Housing Refurbishment
- Design and construction process improvement
- Building information modeling application
- Deliveries and relationships among key stages in whole life cost process map of Whole life cost planning and appraisal (WLCPA) stages for Design-Build
- Framework of data flow on the WLCPA process map
- Whole life performance tender evaluation using AHP (Analytic Hierarchy Process).
- Adjunct Professor in Hanyang University South Korea.
- Visiting Lecturer in University of Reading.
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Building Construction and Planning Research.
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of the Korea Institute of Building Construction.
- Reviewer of international refereed journals: Construction Management and Economics, Automation in Construction, Building and Environment, and Journal of Construction Engineering and Management ASCE.
- Member of GloNic (Global Network for International Construction).
- SIG-SAA Leader of Korean Scientists and Engineers Association in the UK.
- Member of Scientific Committee, EU-Korea Conference on Science and Technology.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Chartered Builder, Member of Chartered Institute of Building.
- Project Management Professional, Member of Project Management Institute, USA and Member of PMI UK Chapter.
- Associate Member of SCQS (Society of Construction & Quantity Surveyors).
- Korean Certified Construction Manager, Member of Korean Construction Management Centre/CMAA, Korea.
- Kim, K.P. and Park, S.H. (2013) Sustainable Construction through integration of IPD and BIM. Project Management Review, 2013 Vol.3, No.1, (in press).
- Kim, K.P. and Park, S.H. (2012) Comparative analysis of the BIM status in the UK and US for improving the efficiency of construction project management process in Korea. Project Management Review, 2012. Vol.2, No.2, 1-16.
- K.S. Park and H.C. Lim (2012) Whole Life Performance Bid Evaluation in the Korean Public Sector, Journal of the Korea Institute of Building Construction, the Korea Institute of Building Construction, Volume 12, No.6, 682-700.
- S. Park (2009) Whole Life Performance Assessment: Critical Success Factors, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, Volume 135, Issue 11, 1146-1161
- S. Park (2009) Introduction of Whole life cost and BS ISO 15686-5: Buildings and constructed assets – Service life planning, Journal of Korea Project Management Association, Summer 2009, Volume 62, 45-54
Refereed conference papers
- K.P. Kim and K.S. Park. (2012) BIM Feasibility Study for Housing Refurbishment in UK. In: John-Paris Pantouvakis (Ed) Procs 26th IPMA World Congress, 29-31 October 2012, Crete, Greece, International Project Management Association, 891-897.
- H.C. Lim and K.S. Park (2011) Cost Management Process Improvement through a Sustainable Business Process Management, 4th EU-Korea Conference on Science and Technology, 21-23 July 2011, OECD Conference Centre Paris, France, Korean Scientists and Engineers Association in France (ASCoF), IV-35.
- Park, S.H. (2010) Whole Life Costing Bid Evaluation for Design-Build in Korea In: Khi, V. Thai. (Ed) Procs 4th International Public Procurement Conference, 26-28 August 2010, Seoul, Korea, The International Public Procurement Conference, PR03-6-3.
- Park, S.H. and Flanagan, R. (2009) Integrating whole life cost into the evaluation of design-build in Korea. In: Dainty, A.R.J. (Ed) Procs 25th Annual ARCOM Conference, 7-9 September 2009, Nottingham, UK, Association of Researchers in Construction Management, 227-237.
- P. Mann, David T. W. Wong, Kenneth Sungho Park (2009). “Innovative use of Vodcast (video-podcast) to Enrich Learning Experience in Structures Laboratory” 4th International Conference on e-Learning, 16-17 July 2009, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada.
Park, S.H. (2012) Aston University: Engineering Systems & Management. Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management Periodical, Volume 3, Issue 4, 42-45.