Engineering Systems & Management
+44 (0) 121 204 3595
Main Building 182
I joined Aston University in August 2011, as a Lecturer in Logistics and Supply Chain Management. Prior to that, I was an Adjunct Lecturer for 4 years in the University of Macedonia, in the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and also in City College, the International Faculty of the University of Sheffield teaching Logistics and Supply Chain related modules to BSc, MSc and ExMBA students.
In 2010, I was awarded a one year post-doc grant on “Innovation in the Food Chain” from the Greek State Scholarships Foundation. Also, for 3 years (2006-2009) I worked as a researcher in the FP6 European Project “e-Trust”, which dealt with the exploration and analysis of the trust factors affecting companies in the food chain in their transition from traditional to electronic B2B relationships. I have also been involved in several consulting projects as a freelance consultant.
Qualifications & Education
- Post-doc in Innovation in the Food Chain, Department of Applied Informatics, University of Macedonia, Greece, 2011.
- PhD in Supply Chain Management & E-business, Department of Applied Informatics, University of Macedonia, Greece, 2006
- MSc in Food Industry Management & Marketing, Imperial College, University of London, 2002
- BSc in Agriculture, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, 2000
- 2011- date: Lecturer, Aston University
- 2007 – 2011: Adjunct Lecturer, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, University of Macedonia and City College, International Faculty of the University of Sheffield
- 2006-2009: Researcher in the FP6 European Project “e-Trust”, University of Macedonia.
- 2004-2007: Scientific Associate and Trainer, Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki, Greek Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs.
- Introduction to Logistics (BSc)
- Logistics and Transportation (MSc)
- Supply Management (MSc)
- Additional teaching interests: Supply Chain Management, Value Chain Management, E-business.
- Sustainable Supply Chains and Green Logistics
- Consumer Response to Out of Stock Situations
- Value Chain Dynamics
- E-business Adoption & Impact on Supply Chains
- Humanitarian Supply Chains
- Supply Chain Innovation
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Member of the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals
- Member of the European Association of Operations Management
- Member of the European Association of Agricultural Economists
- Member of the European Association of ICT in Agriculture, Food and Environment
- Matopoulos, A. and Bourlakis, M. (2010). Sustainability practices and indicators in food retail logistics: Findings from an exploratory study, Journal on Chain and Network Science, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 207-218.
- Kovacs, G., Matopoulos, A. and Hayes, O. (2010). A community-based approach to supply chain design, International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, Vol. 13, Νο. 5, pp. 411-422.
- Canavari, M., Fritz, M., Hofstede, G. J., Matopoulos, A. and Vlachopoulou, M. (2010). The Role of Trust in the Transition from Traditional to Electronic B2B Relationships in Agri-Food Chains, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol. 70, Νο. 2, pp. 321-327.
- Matopoulos, A., Vlachopoulou, M. and Manthou, V. (2009). Understanding the factors affecting e-business adoption and impact on logistics processes, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 853-865.
- Matopoulos, A., Vlachopoulou, M., Manthou, V. and Manos, B. (2007). A conceptual framework for supply chain collaboration: empirical evidence from the agri-food industry, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 177-186.
- Matopoulos, A., Vlachopoulou, M. and Manthou, V. (2007). Exploring the impact o E-business adoption on logistics processes: empirical evidence from the food industry, International Journal of Logistics: Research and Applications, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 109-122
- Matopoulos, A. (2011) Warehouse Technologies in Retail Operations: The Case of Voice Picking, in Intelligent Agrifood Chains and Networks (eds M. Bourlakis, I. Vlachos and V. Zeimpekis), Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK. doi: 10.1002/9781444339895.ch12
- Matopoulos, A. and Papadopoulou, E. M. (2010). The evolution of Logistics Service Providers and the role of Internet-based applications in facilitating global operations, In the book titled: “Enterprise Networks and Logistics for Agile Manufacturing” (Eds: Wang, L. and Koh, S. C. L.), Springer, pp. 297-310, ISBN: 9781849962438.
- Bourlakis, M. and Matopoulos, A. (2010). Trends in food supply chain management, Ιn the book titled: “Delivering Performance in Food Supply Chains” (Eds: Mena, C. and Stevens, G.), Woodhead Publishing Ltd, Cambridge, UK, pp. 511-527, ISBN: 9781845694715.
- Matopoulos, A., Vlachopoulou M. and Manthou, V. (2008). Electronic integration of supply chain operations: context, evolution and practices (Eds. Butcher T. and Dwivedi, A.) “Supply Chain Management and Knowledge Management - Integrating Critical Perspectives in Theory and Practice”, Palgrave Macmillan Publishers, pp. 217-232, ISBN: 9780230573437.
- Matopoulos, A., Michaelidou, L. and Bourlakis, M. (2011). Healthcare supply chains: a case study into hospital-vendor collaborative practices, Presentation at the 2011 Logistics Research Network Annual Conference, Southampton, UK.
- Penn, J., Matopoulos, A. and House, L. (2010). Response to Out of Stock Produce and its Underlying Economic Considerations, Selected Paper prepared for presentation at the Southern Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, February 6-9, 2010.
- Kovacs, G., Matopoulos, A. and Hayes, O. (2009). Designing post-disaster reconstruction supply chains, In Proceedings of the 2009 Logistics Research Network Annual Conference (Eds. Potter, A. and Naim, M.), Cardiff, UK, pp. 189-196.
- Fritz, M. and Matopoulos, A. (2008). Sustainability in the agri-food industry: a literature review and overview of current trends, In Proceedings (USB) of the 8th International Conference on Chain & Network Management in Agribusiness & the Food Industry, 26-28 May, Ede, The Netherlands.