MSc By Research
The MSc by Research is a one year research degree for students looking for a research programme, but who may not be ready or able to commit three years of study as with a traditional PhD programme, e.g:
• people with work experience who only want to take one year out of industry (or two years part time) to complete a research degree;
• exceptional BSc students who want to take their final year project work further.
Students may transfer to a PhD if the first few months go very well and necessary funding is in place.
The MSc by Research can be studied with a supervisor from one of the school’s cutting-edge research groups listed above.
We have also recently launched an MSc by Research in the Mathematics of Complex Systems.
As part of the MSc by Research, every student agrees a bespoke training programme with their Supervisor, which comprises:
• Research Skills and Professional Development: a generic research skills module, delivered by the Centre for Staff and Graduate Development
• Specialist Research Skills and Techniques: this module is individually tailored to to help students develop the specialist (i.e. subject and discipline specific) research knowledge and skills necessary for their project..
• Individual Training Plan: to be agreed with your supervisor at the outset and updated at the three monthly reviews.
All students must complete and pass the two research skills training modules; assessment is based on coursework.
MSc by Research students must also submit a thesis for examination; the thesis is the primary focus of this degree.
Duration of Programme: 1 year full time, or 2 years part time
Start Date: October
Entry Qualifications: A first or second class honours degree, or equivalent, in a subject appropriate to the proposed programme of study.
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of an English language qualification (IELTS score of 6.5, TOEFL score of 600 or equivalent)
- We offer a vibrant research environment that reflects the cutting edge research of academic staff. Over 80 per cent of staff were reported as research active in the recent Research Assessment Exercise, where over 40% of research output was rated in the internationally excellent to world-leading categories.
- In the same national Research Assessment Exercise, we were praised for the "excellent training and support for research students", the "prizes won by research students at international conferences", and our "strong engagement with industry, and commercialisation of research".
- We have an established history of postgraduate study and research which has evolved and responded to the demands of postgraduate students. We have a dedicated postgraduate student support service and offer a research skills training programme to ensure that we provide the best environment for your postgraduate study.
- We are diverse and international reputable with 40 per cent of students coming from over 30 countries.
- You will be a member of School Student Research Society, enjoying a range of events (seminars by external distinguish speakers, annual poster competition, inter-school collaboration, social gathering and outing) organised by the Society to enrich your academic and social life experience.