If you are experiencing any problems with your course, there are several people linked with your studies that you can talk to. Course contacts and School services are listed below.
The name of your Academic Tutor should be listed on the front page when you log into MAP. If you do not have a tutor listed here please email the Taught Programmes Team: firstname.lastname@example.org, to rectify this. Your tutor should be a student’s first formal point of contact for general academic guidance and pastoral support.
Every student has the opportunity for private one-to-one discussions with their Academic tutor. The purpose of these meetings is to discuss your academic aspirations, to provide feedback about your progress, and to discuss opportunities and resources that may be available to you (e.g., placements).
In addition to the University Personal Tutoring Policy found here, EAS academic teaching staff also operate an Office Hours policy whereby staff publish a minimum of 3 office hours per term-time week during which students can make appointments to see them. Office hours will be published via WASS (Web Appointment Scheduling System). Please see below for more information on WASS.
If you cannot resolve a problem with your academic tutor, you may contact your Programme Director. It may also be necessary to meet with them to get various forms signed. Their details should be available to you on My Aston Portal (MAP). Students who are not able to contact their academic tutor or Programme Director within a day or so (or immediately in the event of an emergency) may approach EAS School Centre Reception for advice (first floor, main building). If you can not approach your programme director and need an appointment to see the School’s Director of Postgraduate Programmes (Dr Sudhir Jain) you can also approach EAS School Centre Reception to arrange this.
You are able to book appointments with an academic member of staff using the Web Appointment Scheduling System. This can either be your Academic Tutor, Programme Director or a module lecturer, if you are experiencing some difficulties with a module and need further help or guidance.
Book an appointment with a tutor:
- First you must log-in using your USERNAME / PASSWORD
- Click on Make Appointment (link) located on the left hand side of the screen
- Search Calendar (type in NAME of lecturer) for example: Oliver.
To do this click either Browse (gives a directory of all calendars set) OR search on the bottom right hand side.
- Click the name your require from the list then on Make Appointment.
This will take you to their calendar – click on the date that you are able to book an appointment and you will be given a list of times available.
- Click on the button at a mutually convenient time and complete the Make an Appointment box.
- Click on Save and an Email will go to the academic concerned and will populate their calendar.
The administration of your course is handled by Staff in the EAS School Centre. This is situated on the First Floor of the main building (MB133). School Centre staff will always be willing to help you where possible, it is important to keep the School/University informed of any changes in your situation.
The School Centre offers the following:-
- A reception area open Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm
- A coursework office dealing with all coursework submissions and returns, covering all EAS subject groups
- Dedicated meeting rooms where students can meet with Centre staff in a confidential environment
- An enlarged student lounge area
- A range of PCs in the Reception area for student use
- A dedicated Placements resource room
- Access to your programmes administrator in weekly run drop-in sessions.
Drop in Sessions
The Taught Programmes Team of the School of Engineering and Applied Science is here to answer any of your questions and queries regarding the administration of your programme/student record etc. Whilst we cannot answer academic questions we have a wide knowledge of the support services offered by the University and how to access these services. We offer an open-office policy in a confidential room just off EAS Reception (MB139c). If the door is open please feel free to come in and talk to us. If the door is closed we are in a meeting with a student, please respect their privacy and wait for them to leave.
The opening times are as follows:
- Monday 9.30 – 17.00
- Tuesday 9.30 – 14.00 (Placement Advice 14.00 – 16.30)
- Wednesday 09.30 – 14.00
- Thursday 09.30 - 14.00 (Placement Advice 14.00 – 16.30)
- Friday 09.30 – 16.00
If you wish to speak to someone specifically the timetable is displayed on the drop in office window and displayed on the ‘EAS Postgraduate Information’ module.
You can find contact details for all staff in your subject area by clicking on this link.