If you are applying inside the UK, you have two ways to apply for Tier 2:
You then have the choice of the standard service (send your documents by post) or the premium service (go in person for a quicker, more expensive decision). Please discuss your options with an International Student Adviser for more information.
Please note that you cannot apply inside the UK to switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2 if you have not been awarded a full degree eg Bachelors or Masters. If you will be awarded a certificate or diploma you are strongly advised to speak with an International Student Adviser about the consequences of this.
If you are applying outside the UK, you will need VAF 9 and Appendix 5. These are available from the UKBA website, but in some countries you may need to apply online. Applying outside the UK is a more complicated application therefore you are strongly advised to speak to an International Student Adviser in the Hub about this.
How do I complete the application form?
You should always get your form checked by an adviser. We are currently working on a help guide for the new version of the Tier 2 General application form which will be available here shortly. The current version of the form is version 04/2013.
When can I apply?
There are several issues that you need to consider when deciding when to apply for Tier 2:
- You must apply within three months of the date your Certificate of Sponsorship was issued.
- You must apply no more than three months before the start date on your Certificate of Sponsorship. If this is not possible, you should contact your sponsor.
- If you are applying from inside the UK, you must have a current visa as a student, so you’ll need to apply before your current leave expires.
- You cannot apply until you have been awarded and your results are released on MAP. If your results do not appear on MAP and you have been notified of your award in writing, please come to The Hub Advice Zone for help getting your Tier 2 General Academic Reference.
Biometrics (Fingerprints and Photograph)
Tier 2 visas are issued as Biometric Residence Permits (a card) instead of a sticker in your passport. The UKBA will write to you after they have taken your payment, asking you to give your fingerprints and photograph as part of your application for the Biometric Residence Permit.
If you are in the UK with dependants separate application forms must be completed for them and the amount of money in your bank account needs to be much more than £900. Please book an appointment with an International Student Adviser for details.
What can Aston do to help?
Through The Hub Advice Zone, Aston can:
- Help you check if you're eligible to apply for Tier 2, and if you can apply inside the UK.
- Check your application including all relevant documents.
- Point you towards specific pieces of information in the UKBA guidance for employers and sponsors, if you are asked for this by your employer.
- Help explain the work conditions of your visa to your employer, for example if you need to start work with your Tier 4 visa before you Tier 2 application is decided.
Due to UK law and the nature of our immigration advice service:
- We cannot send the application for you by post or come with you to your appointment.
- We cannot give detailed advice to employers about applying for a Tier 2 licence or what they need to do as your sponsor. It is the employer's responsibility to check this, and to get appropriate legal advice where necessary. Aston's advisers are qualified only to advise you as a student/recent graduate.