You can prove you have these funds available by providing:
- An original printed personal bank statement, no more than one month old, in your name OR
- An original printed personal bank statement, no more than one month old, in your parents' name. You must also supply your birth certificate and an original signed and dated letter from your parent(s) confirming they are your parent(s) and they consent to their money being used to fund your UK studies OR
- There are other methods but the above options are the most common. Contact us for information if you are a sponsored student.
The UKBA has strict guidelines about the format for your bank statements. If the bank statement is printed in a Branch (ad hoc) then it needs to be printed on letter headed paper. Electronic bank statements printed from an internet banking account can be accepted but they will need to be stamped by the bank on every single page.
In all cases statements must include the following information:
- Transactions covering at least 28 days.
- The name of the account holder.
- The full account number.
- The Bank's name and logo.
- The amount of money available.
Any financial documents which do not fulfil these requirements may not be accepted by the UKBA and coudl result in your visa application being confused.
You must provide professional translations of documents which are not written in English.
If your bank account is not in the UK, you must include a conversion of the closing balance to Sterling quoting the OANDA website and the exchange rate on the date your bank statement or bank loan was issued. You will also need to provide an official translation of your bank statement.
The UKBA will only accept evidence from some banks in India, Cameroon, Ghana, Pakistan, Philippines, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Iran. The UKBA has published lists of institutions in those countries that do satisfactorily verify financial statements. Please contact us if your money is in a bank account in one of these countries and we will check the UKBA list for you.
Students from some nationalities considered to be "low risk" may not need to send every document with their application.Evidence is always required but not always requested, so please contact us before you send your application if you think this applies to you.
Example bank statement: We now have an example copy of what your bank statements should include. Please note this is an example and must not be used with any visa application.