- First and second language learning and teaching, particularly in relation to classroom-based research, immigrant and workplace-related education
- Language teacher education
- European languages and cultures, including English
- English as a global language
- Language contact, regionally and internationally
- Language education for professional and intercultural communication in organisations, language teaching, and translation and interpreting
The key goal of CLERA is to promote collaboration among researchers in these areas of Aston’s School of Languages and Social Sciences, and to establish international research networks and partnerships.