Work & Organisational Psychology Group
- PhD Psychology (Surrey; 2004)
- MSc Occupational Psychology (Nottingham; 2001)
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (Wolverhampton; 2000)
joined the Work and Organisational Psychology Group in 2007 as Lecturer
and Course Director for MSc Courses in Work/Organisational Psychology
and Business,and Organisational Behaviour. Prior to joining the group,
Steve was a Lecturer in Occupational Psychology at the Institute of
Work, Health and Organisations at the University of Nottingham. He is
Visiting Lecturer in Occupational Psychology at the University of
Nottingham (Malaysia Campus) and at City University. Steve is well
known in the UK and Internationally for his work on personality trait
assessment and structure, publishing hos work in peer-reviewed
journals, books, and at conferences. Since 2001, Steve has also worked
as an assessment consultant with private and public centre clients on
selection and development projects, most recently in South East Asia.
- Chartered Occupational Psychologist (British Psychological Society; BPS)
- Verified Assessor (BPS Level A and B Qualifications in Occupational Testing)
- Consulting Editor (Work & Stress)
- Reviewer (Personality and Individual Differences, Journal of Personality, Journal of Research in Personality)
L., Port, R. and Woods, S. A. (in press) Innovation and the 'Dark Side'
of Personality: Dysfunctional Traits and their Relationship to
Innovation Potential. Journal of Creative Behaviour.
Oudenhoven, J. P., de Raad, B., Askevis-Leherpeux, F., Boski, P.,
Brunborg, G. S., Carmona, C., Barelds, D., Hill, C. T., Mlacic, B.,
Motti, F., Rammsetdt, B., and Woods, S. (2008) Terms of abuse as
expression and reinforcement of cultures. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 32; 174-185.
M. and Woods, S. A. (2008) The Joint Predictive Effects of Emotional
Intelligence and Three Broad Personality Traits on General Well-Being. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 38; 635-646.
A., Vaananen, A., Woods, S. A., Heponiemi, T., Koskinen, A.,
Toppin-Tanner, S. (208) Sense of coherence and diabetes: A prospective
occupational cohort study. BMC Public Health, 8, 46.
- Dancer, L. and Woods, S. A. (2006) Intercorrections and Higher Order Factor Structures of the 16PF5 and FIRO-B. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 14, 385-391.
S. A. (2006) Cognitive Ability Tests and Unfairness against Minority
Ethnic Groups: Two Practical Ways to Check for Unfairness in Selection.
Selection and Development Review, 22(3), pp. 2-7.
S. and Woods, S. A. (2006) Uncertified Absence from Work and the Big
Five: An Examination of Absence Records and Future Absense Intentions. Personality and Individual Differences, 41(2), pp. 359-369.
- Woods, S. A. and Hampson, S. E. (2005) Measuring the Big Five with single items using a bipolar response scale. European Journal of Personality, 5, pp. 373-390.
- Woods, S. A. (2003) Five reasons to be optimistic about the future of personality assessment as a selection tool. Selection and Development Review, 19(4), pp. 12-15.
- Woods, S. A., West, M. A. & Martin, R. (forthcoming) The Psychology of Work and Organizations. London; CENGAGE
S. A. (2008) Performance Measures: The Elusive Relationship Between Job
Performance and Job Satisfaction. In S. Cartwright & C. L. Cooper
(Eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Personnel Psychology. Oxford; OUP
S. A. (2009) The structures and comparative validities of six
personality inventories. Proceedings of the Division of Occupational
Psychology Conference, 2009
- Woods, S. A. (2009) The
convergence and construct validities of five commercial personality
inventories. Proceedings of the Division of Occupational Psychology
- Woods, S. A. (2008) Predicting adult
occupations from childhood personality traits. A 40-year longitudinal
study. Proceedings of the Division of Occupational Psychology, 2008
S. A. (2007) The social desirability of 200 personality traits:
Implications for organizational assessments of personality. Proceedings
of the Division of Occupational Psychology Conference 2007 &
Proceedings of the European Congress of Psychology 2007
S. A. (2006) Improving the predictive validity of personality
assessments using metaperceptions. Proceedings of the Division of
Occupational Psychology Conference, 2006
- Woods, S. A. (2006)
Cognitive ability tests and adverse impact against minority ethnic
groups: A proposal for standard evaluative procedures. Proceedings of
the Division of Occupational Psychology Conference, 2006
S. A. (2006) Improving the prediction of job-performance from the Big
Five using metaperceptions. Proceedings of the 13th European Conference
on Personality, Athens, Greece
- Woods, S. A. & Hampson, S.
E. (2004) Adding context to personality measurements at
work. Proceedings of the 12th European Conference on Personality,
Groningen, The Netherlands
- Woods, S. A. & Hampson, S. E.
(2004) Single-item measures for the Big Five personality factors:
Validation data from an organisational sample. Proceedings of the
Division of Occupational Psychology Conference, 2004
S. A. & Hampson, S. E. (2002) The use of meta-perceptions in
personality measurement. Proceedings of the 11th European Conference
on Personality, July 2002, Jena, Germany
Personality Assessment and Structure
research programme is concerned with assessment methodology,
personality structure, and the prediction of work outcomes from
personality traits. Recent foci of this research have been the
comparative validities of different commercially available personality
measures, the social desirability of personality traits, and the
prediction of adult occupations from childhood personality traits. Some
of this research is carried out collaboratively with scientists at the
Oregon Research Institute, Oregon, USA.
Adverse Impact in Cognitive Ability Testing
research is examining the problem of adverse impact (i.e., indirect
discrimination) in the use of cognitive ability testing for selection.
The most recent aspect of this research is a funded meta-analysis
examining group differences in cognitive ability test performance over
time in the EU and US.
- British Academy Small
Research Grants 2007. Achronological meta-analysis of ethnic group
differences in cognitive ability and aptitude test scores in the UK, EU
- University of Nottingham Research Committee 2005. The underlying structure of occupational assessments of personality.
- BHM306: Assessment, Development, and Reward
- BHM310: Counselling and Personal Development
- BH2239/3328: Psychology and Work
- PY3342: Psychology at Work