Reader of Work and Organizational Psychology
Work & Organisational Psychology Group
Dr Steve Woods is Reader of Work and Organizational Psychology at Aston Business School, and a Chartered Occupational Psychologist. Steve is known for his research on psychometric and personality trait assessment, and recruitment and selection, which he publishes in scientific and professional journals, scholarly books, and at national and international conferences.
As an academic at Aston Business School, Steve has been Course Director for MSc programmes in Work Psychology for six years, lectures on psychology and work, selection and assessment, and vocational psychology, and is currently lead supervisor for three doctoral students. Steve is a regular speaker at professional organizations and Universities about contemporary issues in assessment, and has extensive professional, corporate and practitioner experience.
- Personality and Working Life
- Assessment and Selection for HRM
- Personality Trait Measurement
- Careers and Vocational Psychology
- Psychometric Methods
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications
- Woods, S. A., Lievens, F., De Fruyt, F. & Wille, B. (2013) Personality Across Working Life: The Longitudinal and Reciprocal Influences of Personality on Work. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 34, S7-25.
- Guillaume, Y. R. F., Dawson, J., Woods, S. A., Sacramento, C. A., & West, M. A. (2013) Getting diversity at work to work: Editorial. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology.
- Woods, S. A. & Sofat, J. (in press) Personality and work engagement: The mediating role of psychological meaningfulness. Journal of Applied Social Psychology
- Woods, S. A. & Hardy C. (2012) The higher-order factor structures of five personality inventories. Personality and Individual Differences, 52, 52-58.
- Woods, S. A., Poole, R. & Zibarras, L. (2012) Commitment and Absence at Work: the Moderating Effects of Age. Journal of Personnel Psychology, 11, 199-203.
- Woods, S. A. & Hampson, S. E. (2010). Predicting Adult Occupational Environments from Childhood Personality Traits. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95(6), 1045-1057.
- Zibarras, L. & Woods, S. A. (2010) A survey of UK selection practices across different organization sizes and industry sectors. Journal of Occupational & Organizational Psychology, 83, 499-511.
- Singh, M. & Woods, S. A. (2008) The Joint Predictive Effects of Emotional Intelligence and Three Broad Personality Traits on General Well-Being. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 38; 635-646.
- Zibarras, L., Port, R. and Woods, S. A. (2008) Innovation and the 'Dark Side' of Personality: Dysfunctional Traits and their Relationship to Innovation Potential. Journal of Creative Behaviour, 42, 201-213.
- Dancer, L. & Woods, S. A. (2006) Intercorrections and Higher Order Factor Structures of the 16PF5 and FIRO-B. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 14, 385-391.
- Daviri, S. & Woods, S. A. (2006) Uncertified Absence from Work and the Big Five: An Examination of Absence Records and Future Absence Intentions. Personality and Individual Differences, 41(2), 359-369.
- Woods, S. A. & Hampson, S. E. (2005) Measuring the Big Five with single items using a bipolar response scale. European Journal of Personality, 5, 373-390.
Books and Book Chapters
- Woods, S. A. & West, M. A. (2010) The Psychology of Work and Organizations. Hampshire; CENGAGE
- Woods, S. A., Zibarras, L., & Hinton, D. (2014) Recruitment and Selection. In P Budhwar & J. Crawshaw (Eds.) Strategic Human Resource Management. London; Sage.
- Woods, S. A. & Hardy, C. (2011) Personality. In Butler & Rose (Eds.) Organizational Behaviour. CIPD.
- Woods, S. A. (2008) Performance Measures: The Elusive Relationship Between Job Performance and Job Satisfaction. In S. Cartwright & C. L. Cooper (Eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Personnel Psychology. Oxford; OUP
British Safety Council 2012:
Design of an Assessment Tool to Measure Propensity for Risky Behaviour.
ESRC Case Award 2011:
Leadership in Clinical Commissioning: An ESRC CASE research project with Pricewaterhouse Coopers.
British Academy 2008/9:
A chronological meta-analysis of ethnic group differences in cognitive ability and aptitude test scores in the UK, EU and US.
Steve is available for PhD student supervision.
- Thomas West (2011 - ) Leadership in NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups. ESRC Case.
- Rebecca Jones (2011 - ) Personality and Coaching Effectiveness. ABS GTA.
- Daniel Hinton (2010 - ) Ethnic differences in cognitive ability: Issues for testing in organizations. ABS GTA.
- Amr Swid: Proactive Personality and the Big Five (completed 2011).
- Claire Hardy: Predicting Expatriate Worker Performance and Success (completed 2011).
- Sven Lohrey (2012 - ) Servant Leadership and Employee Health. ABS GTA
- Joanne Lyubovnikova (nee Richardson) (2007-2010) A Measure of Team Realness (Completed 2010).
- 2007- Present: Reader & MSc Course Director, Aston Business School, Birmingham, UK
- 2007-Present: Visiting Lecturer, University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus
- 2004-2007: Lecturer in Occupational Psychology, Institute of Work, Health and Organizations, Nottingham, UK
Steve is Director of Aston Business Assessments Ltd (ABA), an Aston University spin-out company that provides customized HR assessment solutions for business, and training in psychometric assessment for practitioners.
In his consulting and practitioner activity, Steve has worked extensively in the UK and SE Asia (e.g. Malaysia, Indonesia, Myanmar), advising companies on effective assessment and development strategies.
Professional Memberships & Activities
- British Psychological Society, Division of Occupational Psychology
- European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology
- European Federation of Psychologist Associations
Journal Editorial Responsibilities
- Editorial Board:
- Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology
- Work and Stress
Education & Training
- PhD Psychology (ESRC Funded; Uni. Surrey, 2004)
- Chartered (HPC Registered) Occupational Psychologist (2004-Present)
- MSc Occupational Psychology (Uni. Nottingham, 2001)
- BSc Psychology (Uni. Wolverhampton, 2000)
- BPS Occupational Test User Certified and Verified Assessor for Practitioner Training
Leading or contributing on the following modules:
- BH2239/3328: Psychology and Work
- BHM347: HRM: Assessment, Performance and Reward
- BHM348: Employee Relations and Counselling
- BHM356: Workplace Design and Health
- BHAM346: Organizational Behaviour: Theory and Practice