He is also a Library of Birmingham 'Face' and is currently exploring the redesign and reimagining of public library spaces as catalysts for local democracy, social inlcusion and economic well-being. He has given a number of public talks on this subject including oner at the Flemish Ministry of Education conference on Media and Learning called Digital Media and the Right to the City.
As editor for The Converging World book series John is also interested in educationally innovative work that embraces social and environmental justice, new media and community based action. He is currently working on a second edition of his best selling textbook Understanding Sustainable Development (Routledge-Earthscan) due to be published in 2014. He blogs on communication, sustainability and matters relating to the future of the public library. See his latest piece on The Conversation.
He is currently co-editing a Special Issue of the International Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainable Development. Please see Call for Papers: Smart, Sustainable and Just: higher education and the remaking of the right to the city.
- Blewitt, J. Ed (2013) Sustainable Development (4 vols). London, Routledge-Earthscan.
- Blewitt. J. & Tilbury, D. (2013) Searching for Resilience in Sustainable Development, London, Routledge-Earthscan.
- Blewitt, J. Ed (2012) The Media, Animal Conservation and Environmental Education. London, Routledge.
- Blewitt, J. (2010) Media, Ecology and Conservation. Totnes, Green Books.
- Blewitt, J. (2008) Understanding Sustainable Development. London, Earthscan.
- Blewitt, J. (forthcoming 2014) 'Digital Media and the Right to the City'. Atkinson, H. & Wade, R. (eds), in: The challenge of sustainability: linking politics, education and learning. Policy Press, Bristol.
- Blewitt, J. (forthcoming 2014) 'Resilient and sustainable cities and communities for the 21st century'. C Schmitz-Hoffmann, B Hansmann & D Palekhov (eds), in: Voluntary Standards Systems – A Contribution to Sustainable Development. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands
- Blewitt, J. (2013) 'Contesting the market model of HE' in Sterling, S., Maxey, L, & Satterthwaite, J. Eds The Sustainable University. London, Earthscan.
- Blewitt, J. (2011) "Lifelong Learning and Environmental Sustainability" in Jackson, S. Ed Lifelong Learning and Social Justice: communities, work and identities. Leicester, NIACE.
- Blewitt. J. (2009) "New Media Literacy: communication for sustainability" in Stibbe, A. Ed The Handbook of Sustainability Literacy. Totnes, Green Books.
- Blewitt, J. (forthcoming 2014) Public Libraries and the Right to the [Smart] City. International Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainable Development, Vol.5, No.1
- Blewitt, J. (2013) What's New Pussycat? A Genealogy of Animal Celebrity. Celebrity Studies, Vol.4, No.3 , pp.325-338
- Blewitt, J. (2012) Reimagining the moral economy of the ‘people’s university’. Power and Education. Vol. 4, No.1, pp.107-117.
- Blewitt, J. (2011) Critical Practice and the Public Pedagogy of Environmental and Conservation Media Environmental Education Research, Vol.17, No.6, pp.719-734.
- Parkes, C. & Blewitt, J. (2011) “Ignorance was bliss, now I’m not ignorant and that is far more difficult” - Transdisciplinary Learning and Reflexivity in Responsible Management Education. Journal of Global Responsibility, Vol.2, No.2. pp.206-221
- Blewitt, J. (2010) The Green Campus is also a Virtual One: Living Sustainability in a Connected World. International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development, Vol.9, No.4, pp.392-400.
- Blewitt, J. (2010) New Worlds Rising? The View from Transdisciplinary Lifelong Learning. Policy Futures in Education, Vol.8, No.5. pp.605-607.
- Blewitt, J. (2010) Higher Education for a Sustainable World. Education + Training, Vol.52, No.6/7, pp.477-488.
- Blewitt, J. & Gambles, B. (2010) The Library of Birmingham Project: lifelong learning for the digital age. Journal of Adult Continuing Education, Vol.16, No.2, pp.52-66.
- Blewitt, J. (2010) Deschooling Society? A Lifelong Learning Network for Sustainable Communities, Urban Regeneration and Environmental Technologies. Sustainability, 2, pp. 3465-3478.
- Think Pieces
- Blewitt, J. (2013) Malala: Pens and Books Can Defeat Terrorism. The Conversation, 4 Sept
- Blewitt, J. (2013) Cute Slow Loris Should Come with a Health Warning. The Conversation, 14 Aug.
- Blewitt, J. (2012) Radicalizing Education for Sustainability. Schumacher Institute Challenge Paper.
- Chinguwo, P. & Blewitt, J. (2012) The Global Financial Crisis, Working People and Sustainable Development. Schumacher Institute Challenge Paper.