Work & Organisational Psychology Group
- PhD Psychology (Aston University, 2011). Thesis title: The Complexity of Leadership and Organisations.
- MSc Work Psychology and Business (Aston University, 2005)
- PGDip Psychology (Wolverhampton University, 2004)
- BSc (Hons) Psychology and Information Technology (Newman University College, 2003)
- Health & Care Professionals Council Registered Practitioner Psychologist
- British Psychological Society (BPS):
- Division of Occupational Psychology Associate Fellow
- Division of Occupational Psychology Chartered Occupational Psychologist
- Verified Assessor in Level A and B Psychometric testing
- Associate of the Higher Education Academy
Imelda joined the Work and Organisational Psychology Group in 2005, as a Researcher. During her time at Aston she has worked on a range of NHS related research projects including: Quality and Safety in the NHS, The NHS Benevolent Fund Feasibility Study, NHS National Staff Survey Consultation, NHS Northwest Leadership Academy Evaluation, London Ambulance Service Evaluation of Culture, Birmingham Children’s Hospital Leadership Study and NHS Haringey GP Poly-Clinic Consultation.
Imelda has also worked on a series of other organisational projects that include: Innovation Vouchers (in association with The European Regional Development Fund, Advantage West Midlands, Economic and Social Research Council, and Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council), Birmingham City Council, Astra Zeneca and West-Midlands Probation Service.
Example Research Reports
- West, T., McCarthy, I., & Scully. J. (2011). Birmingham City Council Professional Development Review. Birmingham: Aston Business School.
- Dawson, J. F., McLeod, J., Hieke, G., West, M.A, & McCarthy, I. (2011). Health and Well-being in NHS West Midlands: An Evaluation of Manager Training. Birmingham: Aston Business School.
- Hodgetts, T., Dawson, J.F., Hague, S & McCarthy, I. (2010). NHS North West Leadership Academy Evaluation. Birmingham: Centre for Executive Development, Aston Business School.
- McLeod, J. McCarthy, I, & Dawson, J.F. (2010). An Evaluation of the NHS London Ambulance Service Culture Birmingham: Aston Business School.
- McCarthy, I (2009). Innovation Voucher Case Studies. Birmingham: Aston University. Available at: http://www.innovationvouchers-wm.com/
- Shaw, D., Scully, J., & McCarthy, I (2009). Consultation document on the relocation of Queenswood and Crouch End Health Centre practices to the new Hornsey Central Neighbourhood Health Centre. Birmingham: Aston Business School.
- Scully. J., Shaw, D., & McCarthy, I. (2009). Involving People in Organisational Development Systems: The IPOD Systems Model A model to designed for Birmingham City Council to measure and monitor organisational performance.
- Scully. J, Anson. S, Carter. M, McCarthy. I., & Wong, V. (2008). Evaluation Report Community Payback Pathfinder Project. Birmingham: Aston Business School
- Scully, J., & McCarthy, I. (2006). NHS Benevolent Fund Feasibility Study. Birmingham: Aston Business School
- McCarthy, I., Dawson, J.F., West, M.A., Jerzembek, G and Patel, K (2013). NHS Trust board team objectives. Paper presented at the National Healthcare Research Network conference, Nottingham, England.
- Lyubovnikova, J., Carter, M., Dawson, J.F., Jerzembek, G., MacCurtain, S,. McCarthy, I., Topakas, A., West, M.A. (2012). Ensuring Quality and Safety in Healthcare Delivery: The Role of Teamwork and Organisational Climate. British Academy of Management. Cardiff University, UK.
- McCarthy, I. (2012). The Complexity of Leadership and Organisations. Paper presented at the Division of Occupational Psychology Conference, Chester, England.
- McCarthy, I, Jerzembek, G and West, M.A (2011). Looking in on NHS Trust Board decision-making and its potential impact on care, nationally and locally. Paper presented at the Making health care safer: learning from social and organisational research conference, St Andrews University, Scotland.
- McCarthy, I. (2009) Behavioural Complexity and Organisational Complexity. Poster presented at the European Association of Work and Organisational Psychology Conference, Santiago De Compostela, Spain.
- McCarthy, I. (2009) Leadership and the Science of Complexity. Paper presented at the Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology Conference, New Orleans, USA.
- McCarthy I. (2010). The complexity of leadership and organisations. Paper presented at The Aston Symposium on Leadership, Birmingham, UK.
- McCarthy, I. (2009). From the classroom to the boardroom. Paper presented at the Division of Occupational Psychology Postgraduate Conference, Blackpool, England.
- McCarthy I. (2008). Leadership Complexity. Paper presented at The Aston Work and Organisational Psychology Group Colloquium, Birmingham, UK.
Dixon-Woods, M., Baker, R., Charles, K., Dawson, J. F., Jerzembek, G., Martin, G., McCarthy, I., McKee, L., Minion, J., Ozieranski, P., Willars, J., Wilkie, P., & West, M. A. (in press). Culture and behaviour in the English National Health Service: overview of lessons from a large multi-method study. BMJ Quality & Safety.
- Workplace leadership
- Work and Organisational Psychology
- Human Computer Interaction
- Team working
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Funded PhD Scholarship