Lecturer in Marketing Strategy
- Ph.D. Strategic Orientations in Practice (Aston University)
- M.Sc. by Research in Business Management (Aston University)
- B.Sc. University of London
- Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (Ref: 12621)
- Member of British Academy of Management
Ian's research interests lay in a range of topics that interface between marketing and strategic management such as strategic orientation, strategic flexibility, strategy practice. He is experienced in conducting case study research and in the use of cognitive research methods such as sorting technique, laddering technique and cognitive mapping. His work has been published in journals such as European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Management and Managerial Auditing.
Evidence of Esteem
- Guest editor for special edition of European Journal of Marketing: Marketing and Flexibility,
- Key Note presentation: Strategic Flexibility and the Brand, the EBEA annual conference 2012 – Going for Gold!, June 2012
- Invited presentation to Faculty at Stockholm Business School: Structured Data Collection Techniques for Qualitative Research, Feb. 2013
- Invited presentation to Faculty at Stockholm Business School: Developing Deep Insights into Strategic Flexibility, Feb. 2013
- Marketing Strategy. Postgraduate MSc and MBA (1999 - current)
- Research Methods Course (RMC II, Qualitative research) PhD (2011 – current)
Previous Teaching Experience
- Introduction to Marketing Management. Undergraduate 1st year (1996 – 1999; 2007 - 2009)
- Marketing Management. Undergraduate 2nd year (1995 - 1999)
- Marketing and International Business. Undergraduate 2nd year. (1995 - 1999)
- Marketing Planning and Control. Undergraduate final year (2005 - 2008)
- Contemporary Issues in Marketing. Postgraduate (2000 - 2008)
- Marketing Strategy. Undergraduate final year (1999 - 2010)
- Analysis for Dissertation Research MSc (2011 – 2013)
I have successfully supervised over one hundred and twenty Research Dissertations at Masters Level through full-time mode and over one hundred through distance learning mode. I have successfully supervised one DBA student to completion and am currently supervising three PhD students.
- £122, 000 Knowledge Transfer Partnership Scheme 2010; To develop management processes and culture for effective communication with commissioning bodies to secure new service development opportunities through introduction of effective tender responses. With Dr. J. Rudd and Dr. B. Clegg.
- £260,000 Knowledge Transfer Partnership Scheme 2010; The development and implementation of a business strategy to reposition FactoryMaster from a product-focussed organisation, to one that is market-oriented, whilst maintaining its technical excellence. With Dr. J. Rudd, Prof. I. Nabney and Dr. J. Van Mourik.
- £3, 000 Index project 2009; Internet Food Market Review. With Dr. A. M. Farrell.
- £ 85,000 Knowledge Transfer Partnership Scheme 2006; To develop and launch a revolutionary new platform and associated products in the UK, European and Chinese market places, for the converging voice, data and video telecommunications markets. With Dr. L. Rayman-Bacchus.
- £5,000 European Union Enterprise Bureau 2006; IT Consultancy Market Review.
Selected Journal Publications
- Combe, I. A. (2012) Marketing and Flexibility: Debates Past, Present and Future, European Journal of Marketing; Special issue on Marketing and Flexibility, Volume 46, Issue10, pp. 1257 – 1267. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?issn=0309-0566&volume=46&issue=10&articleid=17056233&show=html
- Combe, I. A., Rudd, J. M., Leeflang, P.S.H. & Greenley, G. E. (2012) Antecedents to Strategic Flexibility: Management Cognition, Firm Resources and Strategic Options, European Journal of Marketing, Volume 46, Issue10, pp. 1320 – 1339.
- Botschen, G., Combe, I. A. & Thelen, E. (2012) Brand-driven Leadership for Change Management in Retailing, European Retail Research, Vol II. pp.1-18. http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-658-00717-1/page/1
- Greenland, S., Coshall, J. & Combe, I. A. (2006) Service Quality and Customer Satisfaction Evaluation in an Emerging Market, International Journal of Consumer Studies, Vol. 30, No 6, pp, 582-590. ISSN: 1470 6423. http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1470-6423
- Combe, I. A. & Greenley, G. E. (2004) The Capability for Strategic Flexibility: A Cognitive Content Framework, European Journal of Marketing, Volume: 38, Number: 11/12, pp.1456-1480. ISSN: 0309 0566. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=853975
- Combe, I. A. & Botschen, G. (2004) Strategy Paradigms for the Management of Quality: Dealing with Complexity, European Journal of Marketing. Volume: 38, Number: 5, pp. 500-523. ISSN: 0309 0566
- Conway, S., Combe, I. A & Crowther, D. E. (2003) Strategizing Networks of Power and Influence: The Internet and the Struggle over Contested Space, Managerial Auditing Journal, Volume: 18 Number: 3, pp. 254-262. ISSN: 0268-6902. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?issn=0268-6902&volume=18&issue=3&articleid=868622&show=html
- Combe, I. A., Crowther, D. E. & Greenland, S. (2003) The Semiology of Changing Brand Image, Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, Vol. 5, Iss. 1, pp.1-24. ISSN: 1417-5201.
- Combe, I. A. (1999) Multiple Strategy Paradigms: An Integrational Framework, Journal of Marketing Management, Volume 15, June, pp.341-359. ISSN: 0267 257X/99/050341
Selected Refereed Conference Presentations
- Carrington, D. J. & Combe, I. A. Marketing Cultural Beliefs and Stakeholder Orientations, Presented to the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Sept. 2012.
- Botschen, G. & Combe, I. A. Developing the Strategic Brand Identity of Retail Organizations: A Resonance Based Socio-cultural Perspective, Presented to 19th International Conference on Recent Advances in Retailing and Services Science, Vienna, Austria, July 2012.
- Botschen, G., Combe, I. A. & Koll, O. The Attraction of Aesthetic Store Atmospherics, Presented to 1st International Colloquium on Global Design and Marketing, University of Lincoln, Dec. 2011.
- Haji, I., Combe, I. A. & Farrell, A. F. How Consumers Conceptualise Negative Brand Personality, Presented to the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Sept. 2011.
- Combe, I. A. The Seven Year Itch: A Longitudinal Study of Management Cognition, Presented to the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Sept. 2011.
- Combe, I. A., Greenland, S. & Coshall, J. (2009) The Measurement Dependency of Strategy Practice: The Issue of Importance in Services, Presented at the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Sept. 2009.
- Combe, I. A. & Greenley, G. E. (2008) Emergent Strategic Flexibility, Presented at the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Sept. 2008.
- Combe, I. A. (2007) The Embeddedness of Strategy Practice: A Cognitive Investigation, Presented at the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Sept. 2007.
- Combe. I. A. & Greenley, G. E. (2000) Strategic Flexibility: A Cognitive Perspective, Presented at the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Sept. 2000.