Professor of Commercial Law & Head of Aston Law
I joined Aston Business School in May 2007, having spent the previous 4 years as Professor of Commercial Law and Deputy Director of the Centre for Legal Research at the University of the West of England, Bristol. Prior to that, I spent 13 years at Cardiff Law School and was course director of the Cardiff LLM in Commercial Law. My first academic post was at the University of Glamorgan where I was course director for the part-time LLB and deputy course director for the full-time programme. I have lectured at the University of Nantes (comparative contract law) and at various universities and colleges in Hong Kong and Malaysia. On graduating I joined the management development programme of Lloyds Bank in central London and therefore have some practical experience of banking and securities.
I specialise in contract law, corporate law and commercial law, particularly arbitration, banking law and competition law. I have a particular research and teaching interest in comparative corporate governance and regulation and comparative contract law, particularly formation issues.
Current research includes contractual remedies, particularly damages for breach of contract and remedies for contractual misrepresentation. In addition to a number of academic journal articles, I am writing a monograph, Damages in Contractual Claims for Hart Publishing. Other key research includes the work on contract formation with Professor Michael Furmston (Contract Formation: Law and Practice, Oxford University Press) and contributions to Annotated Companies Acts, editor Professor John Birds, also for OUP.
- Poole Jill, Casebook on Contract Law, tenth edition, Oxford University Press. Linked companion website
- Poole Jill, Textbook on Contract Law, tenth edition, Oxford University Press. Linked companion website.
- Poole Jill, Contract Law Concentrate: Law Revision and Study Guide, Oxford University Press. Linked companion website.
- Poole, Jill, (with Prof. M.P. Furmston and Prof. T. Norisada), Contract Formation and Letters of Intent: A Comparative Assessment, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 1998. ISBN 0-471-95238-9, pp. 322.
- Undergraduate: Contract Law
- Postgraduate: Comparative Corporate Law, Comparative Contract Law, International Arbitration.
- Executive Education and Consultancy: Contract Law and Contractual Remedies.
- I have also taught Contractual Remedies on the BVC and the following at undergraduate level: Company Law, European Law, Banking Law and Land Law
I have supervised PhD students, and am willing to supervise future suitable applicants, with interests in the following areas:
- Contract Law, including comparative
- Corporate Law, corporate governance, including comparative
- Domestic and international arbitration
- Banking Law