Finance and Accounting Group
I joined Aston Business School in September 2009. Before that I was a Ph.D. Candidate at the University of Cyprus, where I had previously completed an MSc in Finance and worked as research and teaching assistant since 1999. I also hold an MSc in Information Management from Lancaster University. My BSc is in Business Administration (concentration: Management Science) from the University of Cyprus.
I had previously taught several Accounting and Finance courses (both undergraduate and postgraduate) at the University of Cyprus and at the University of Nicosia in Cyprus.
My research is interdisciplinary. My primary research interests are associated with corporate governance and quality management. My previous work has examined the role of online quality management - as a proxy for switching costs - in explaining the financial market performance of pure B2C Internet stocks during the Internet stock bubble period based on a restatement of the Ohlson’s (1995) clean surplus relation.
My current work focuses on the strategic fit between corporate governance structure and quality management success and the impact of this fit on firm performance. I am particularly interested in how the efficiency of alternative governance structures is contingent on organisational strategy and in the role of quality management as a rhetoric for organisational restructuring and change.
In addition, I am interested in corporate social responsibility strategies and their relationship with financial and accounting parameters, as well as in socially responsible investing.
Qualifications & Education
- BSc in Business Administration (concentration Management Science), University of Cyprus, 1998
- MSc in Information Management, Lancaster University, 1999
- MSc in Finance, University of Cyprus, 2002
- PhD in Finance, University of Cyprus, 2010
- September 2009 to date, Lecturer, Finance, Accounting, and Law Group, Aston Business School, Aston University.
- 2007-2009, part-time lecturing, University of Cyprus, and University of Nicosia, Cyprus.
- 1999-2007, various research and teaching assistantships, University of Cyprus
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Quality management and its relationship with accounting and financial variables
Membership of Professional Bodies
European Accounting Association
- "Quality management and CEO compensation: Evidence from quality award winners" (Working Paper with A. Charitou and A. C. Soteriou, 2010)
- “The fit between quality management strategy and board composition and its impact on business performance” (Working Paper with A. Charitou and A.C.Soteriou, 2009)
- “Web perceived service quality and the performance of B2C pure Internet firms in financial markets” (Working Paper with A. Charitou and A.C.Soteriou, 2009)
- “Web perceived service Quality of B2C pure Internet firms: Measurement and assessment” (Working Paper with A. Charitou and A.C.Soteriou, 2009)