Economics and Strategy Group
A graduate mining engineer with a Master’s degree in Engineering Geology and a Doctorate in Strategic Decision Theory, I have more than 45 years international experience in operations both national and multinational, management, corporate acquisitions and development including the flotation of companies on the London, New York, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Sydney and Perth stock exchanges. I have served on the Boards of companies in the UK, Canada, Australia and the USA. I have worked as an independent consultant for over 40 years and have lectured at undergraduate and post graduate levels for a similar period in the fields of strategy, general and operational management, economics, business evaluation and project management.
- B.Sc. (Hons) Mining Engineering, Imperial College, London 1968
- M.Sc. Engineering Geology, University of Durham, 1971
- Ph.D. Decision Theory, University of Leicester, 1983.
- January 2010-July 2011 Sessional Lecturer, Economics & Strategy Group, Aston Business School
- 2000-date Management Consultant
2007-2010 Mining Consultant to Kryso Resources plc.
2007-2010 Associate Faculty Bangor Business School
2001-2007 Part-Time Lecturer in Business Management, Coleg Menai
1988-2000 Director, C. Haydon Limited, UK.
1992-1998 Chairman & Managing Director, Robertson Research Minerals Limited, UK
1989-1990 President - Montana Mining Properties Inc., Butte, Montana, USA.
1984-1988 Chairman & Managing Director Minerals Consultancy Division, Robertson Research International, and Managing Director, Robertson Mining Finance Limited, and Managing Director, Cambrian Mineral Developments Limited, UK
1986-1988 Director - Hydrotechnica Limited, Shrewsbury, UK.
1986-1988 Director American Gold Resources Inc., Denver, Colorado, USA.
1986-1988 Director - Pincock, Allen & Holt, Denver, Colorado, USA.
1986-1988 Director - Robertson Research Australia Limited, Sydney, Australia.
1987-1988 Director - New Butte Mining Inc., Butte, Montana, USA.
1987-1988 Director - Robertson Research Montana, Butte, Montana, USA
1981-1983 Member - Particulate Sub-Committee, National Environmental Research Council
1980-1984 Lecturer in Numerical Geology, University of Leicester, UK
1979-1980 Consulting Engineer, Dames & Moore, Denver, Colorado, USA
1979-1980 Manager of Mineral Evaluation, Geomines Inc., Denver, Colorado, USA
1976-1979 Director of Mineral Evaluation, The Anaconda Company, Denver, Colorado, USA
1974-76 Senior Mining Engineer, Golder Associates, Seattle, Washington, USA
1968-74 Chief Engineer, Simiran Company, Tehran, Iran
My current research interest lies in an investigation of the applicability of regionalised variable analysis and complexity theory to the study of strategic decision making.
- The application of regionalised variable analysis to the prediction of metal prices and to the estimate of when chaotic behaviour may occur in the market
- The application of positive feedback in wave mechanics in an attempt to facilitate the estimate of the magnitude and duration of chaotic commodity market conditions.
- Elucidation of the Application of Prandtl’s Prism to the Explanation of the Failure of large Dimension Rock Slopes
- Numerical Solution to the Prandtl’s Rock Slope Failure Mechanism
- The application of hypersurface models to orebody simulation
- The application of finite element analysis and the Prandtl mechanism to the interpretation of tectonic plate movement in particular in the Kenya Rift Valley
- The application of ideally plastic material behaviour theory to the collision tectonics of the Himalaya and Tibet.
- Numerous commercially confidential industrial research projects.
- BSM999 Strategic Management
- BSM914 Topics in Advanced Strategy
- Strategic Management module for the Distance Learning MBA course
- Strategy Innovation module for the MILE programme in the Engineering School and the same module for the Distance Learning MSc for Health Care Professionals
Membership of Professional Bodies
Fellow of the Institution of Mining & Metallurgy
Associate of the Royal School of Mines
Introduction to Teaching Certificate December 2003
Jointly with R. Kvapil, four US patents teaching the exploitation of oil shale by modified in-situ retorting.
- Mine Design in Developing Countries, Pacific Northwest Mining Conference, 1975.
- World Mining Annual Review, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977
- Prandtl Mechanism in Large Dimension Slope Failures, Transactions of the IMM, January 1979.
An Approach to Strategic Decision Making in the Exploration for Profitable Open Pit Deposits, Open Pit Mining Conference, Pretoria 1984.